Join our Board of Directors
Become a member of the Head & Hands Board of Directors!
Support our organization and community!
Head & Hands is looking for motivated, passionate people to run for election to our Board of Directors. We currently have one seat open.
Who we are looking for:
We encourage all applications to our Board, and seek to create a balanced group to reflect the skills and priorities of our community. Head & Hands welcomes the unique contributions that youth (25 and under) bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We also encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to Head & Hands.
- Commitment to social justice and to our mission
- Willingness to participate in fundraising activities in a collaborative context
- Desire to work with a diversity of people on common goals
- Available for monthly evening Board meetings and ongoing committee work (total time commitment is approx. 8-10 hrs / month)
2014 Board recruitment priorities:
To support us in carrying out our mission, we feel it’s important for the Head & Hands Board to be strong and diverse in terms of skills, connections to programming, and connections to client communities. Having analyzed the balance of qualities on our current Board, and asked ourselves which missing qualities would be most be valuable to us, we encourage applicants who have been clients of, worked with, or worked in a similar field to our Streetwork, Legal, J2K, and YPP programs. We also encourage individuals to apply who have skills in event production, accounting & finance (non-profit financial management and bookkeeping), illustration and design, communications and public relations, and English to French translation.
As an organization that works to facilitate social change and the empowerment of diverse communities of youth, Head & Hands recognizes that living under marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives. People of color, people with disabilities, women, Two-Spirited, queer people, trans* people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in your Board Candidate Profile. We are committed to a creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
How to apply:
- Get in touch with Lindsay, our Board secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org – and let her know you’d like to apply!
- You will receive a blank Board Candidate Profile, which you should complete and return along with your CV if you have one. The application can be in full sentences or in point form. Also, if you need any assistance whatsoever in filling out the Candidate Profile please don’t hesitate to contact Lindsay for collaborative support. These application packages are due May 15th, at 6pm.
- You will then be contacted by a current member of our Board for an in-person interview. This will be a chance for us to get to know you, and for you to learn more about how our board works, what projects we are currently managing, and what kind of training & support opportunities you will have as a new board member. Your questions are welcomed!
- The Board recruitment committee will prepare a summary of your interview & documents, and make this available to Head & Hands’ staff & Board along with their recommendation on your candidacy.
- You will hear back from a member of our recruitment committee on the results of your application. We will then support you with the process of obtaining endorsements from at least two Head & Hands’ members. We will also ask you to become a member, if you aren’t one already.
- Finally, you must attend our AGM on June 18th, prepare a two minute speech for our membership, and our membership will vote in the new Board members.