We are currently seeking new volunteers for the 2015-16 school year!
Interested in facilitating sex ed workshops with youth in high schools? Getting involved with the Sense Project at Head & Hands is a fantastic opportunity to learn, grow and support the well-being of youths in Montreal. Be a part of the magic of the Sense Project as we embark on new changes and visioning in this 10th year of sex ed!
About Head & Hands
Head & Hands is a community organization in NDG that services youth aged 12-25 across the city of Montreal. Since 1970, Head & Hands has been committed to the overall health and well-being of youth, providing holistic services and programs. Our approach is harm/risk reductive, holistic and non-judgemental which is especially important for one of our most important programs: The Sense Project.
About The Sense Project
The Sense Project is Head & Hands’ by youth for youth sexual education program. In 2005, sex ed was phased out of the public high school curriculum resulting in a huge gap in youth’s health education. Over the past decade, the Sense Project has been filling that gap with comprehensive, holistic and inclusive sex ed that centers youth and their needs. Our workshops create space for youth to learn about and discuss topics such as anatomies, genders, STIs, consent culture and more. Head & Hands firmly believes that youth have the right to accurate and accessible information in order to make empowered decisions about their health and lives.
Sense Volunteers a.k.a. “Sensies” are the face of the Sense Project. As a Sensie, your role is to contribute to the program by facilitating sex ed workshops and/or supporting the development of the Sense Project. It is especially important to embody the principles of Head & Hands and our approach which means meeting youth where they’re at. Sensies will have the opportunity to participate in an extensive training in which you’ll learn more about sex, Head & Hands’ approach, allyship and how to facilitate workshops for youth. The goal is to help equip you with the tools and resources to be able to do your own reflective learning and then share with your peers.
Interested? Here are the requirements:
- New applicants must be aged 25 and under.
- Volunteers should be committed to Head & Hands’ principles of anti-oppression, risk reduction, and non-judgment.
- Volunteers should have some availability on weekdays during the day. Throughout the school year, your amount of volunteering is highly dependent on your availabilities and the workshop requests made by schools and organizations.
- Bilingualism is not mandatory, but it’s an asset! The training will be bilingual (ENG-FR).
- It’s also an asset if you have previous animation experience or experience working with youth.
- It is mandatory to attend the full volunteer training (dates listed below).
- Animators must commit for an entire school year and in taking part in any additional trainings for the Sense Project.
If you meet these criteria, please complete a volunteer form and send it to Gabrielle at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is Monday, August 24th at 10 AM. We’ll then book a short screening interview with prospective volunteers.
If you have any questions, feel free to call Shanice at (514) 481-0277!