|Job Title||Counseling Intake and Triage coordinator|
|Type of Position||Temporary Part time (One year contract with possibility of renewal)|
|Hourly Salary||$20/hr + yearly increase|
|Benefits||3 weeks vacation in first year, unlimited health days|
Our mission is to work with youth to promote their physical and mental wellbeing. Our approach is preventative, non-judgmental, and holistic with a fundamental commitment to providing an environment that welcomes youth without discrimination. We facilitate social change and the empowerment of youth based on their current needs within our community and society at large.
In line with our mission, Head & Hands recognizes that experiencing marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives. Black, Indigenous and People of colour, people with disabilities, women, two-spirit, queer people, and trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the Counselor position
Head & Hands’ Counselling Program works with youth 12-25, couples, and families. The program provides holistic trauma-sensitive counseling support in the domains of stress management, boundary work, interpersonal dynamics, self development, etc. Counseling is free, on-going, and can serve to connect clients with other services within the organization and community.
The Counseling Intake and Triage Coordinator is a new position that will operate as the first point of contact for clients seeking counseling services and will finalize and implement the newly developed triage and intake system. With support from the Director of Counseling Services, the coordinator will assess client needs and profiles, manage the wait list, match new clients with counselors or refer them to other relevant resources, and provide short-term mental health interventions and accompaniments.
- Intake + Triage
- Assess new clients for counseling services
- Manage counseling wait list and match clients with counselors
- Develop and maintain mental health referrals database and execute referrals to other services and crisis care (in collaboration with front desk/info & referrals)
- Do crisis intervention in-person and over the phone, as needed
- Document requests for services (statistics)
- Short-term Counselling
- Perform short-term interventions with clients where appropriate, or as referred by the Young Parents’ Program (YPP), Jeunesse 2000, legal and/or medical programs
- Provide psychoeducation and mental health tools to clients in need of short-term stress management
REQUIREMENTS & ASSETS
- Bilingual (i.e. English & French) – ability to provide services in French obligatory
- Background in social work, counseling, or psychology (formal certification not required)
- Excellent administrative, time-management and organizational skills
- Experience with triage, intake, counseling, and/or active listening
- Working understanding of the mental health landscape in Montreal
- Familiarity with the realities facing marginalised youth
- Deep understanding of the chronic strain or stress of being marginalized, including: racism, homophobia, transphobia, poverty, sexism, colonialism, living with disability, transmisogyny, etc.
- A commitment to harm reduction and anti-oppression principles
- Ability to work autonomously
- Commitment to Head & Hands mission and approach
- Experience working in a collaborative team setting
- Knowledge of additional language(s)
- Lived experience navigating mental health challenges and individual/collective healing work
- Experience in peer support work or one-on-one counselling (formal or informal)
- Experience working in a community organization and/or non-profit
- Experience (lived, volunteer or professional) with youth protection systems, Batshaw or DPJ (i.e., Direction de la protection de la jeunesse)
Please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter as one complete pdf document titled “firstname.lastname” to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attn: Intake and Triage Coordinator Hiring Committee” in the subject line.
Applications can also be submitted by fax to (514) 481-2336 or in person at 3465 ave Benny.
No incomplete or late applications will be accepted.
Applications are due by Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 5:00pm. All applicants will receive a confirmation that their application was accepted. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted further.