|Type of Position||Temporary Part time (One year contract with option to renew)|
Wednesday/Thursday evenings, flexible Fridays
|Hourly Salary||$18/hr + yearly increase|
|Benefits||3 weeks vacation in first year, unlimited health days|
Our mission is to work with youth to promote their physical and mental wellbeing. Our approach is preventative, non-judgmental, and holistic with a fundamental commitment to providing an environment that welcomes youth without discrimination. We facilitate social change and the empowerment of youth based on their current needs within our community and society at large.
In line with our mission, Head & Hands recognizes that experiencing marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives. People of colour, people with disabilities, women, two-spirited and queer people, trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve.
About the Counselor position
Head & Hands Social Counselling works with youth 12-25, couples, and families. The program provides talk therapy and support with: anger management, boundaries, conflict resolution, interpersonal dynamics, etc. Counseling is free, on-going, and can serve to connect clients with other services within the organization.
With support from the Director of Social Counselling, this position will provide counselling appointments on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, with flexibility on working Fridays.
- Provide information and referrals to appropriate resources
- Do crisis intervention in-person and over the phone, as needed
- Document requests for services (statistics)
- Perform immediate one-time interventions with drop-in clients where appropriate, or as referred by YPP, Jeunesse 2000, legal and/or medical programs
- Arrange and schedule regular (weekly, monthly, etc) short/medium interventions on issues presented by clients, including couples/families
Requirements & Assets
- Bilingual (ability to provide services in French obligatory)
- Background in social work, counseling, or psychology (formal certification not required)
- Familiarity with the realities facing youth
- Deep understanding of the chronic strain or stress of being marginalized, including: racism, homophobia, transphobia, poverty, living with disability, transmisogyny
- A commitment to harm reduction and anti-oppression principles
- Active listening skills
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Commitment to Head & Hands mission and approach
- Experience working in a collaborative team setting
- Knowledge of additional language(s)
- Experience in peer support work or one-on-one counselling (formal or informal) either through academic or professional work practice
- Experience working in a community organization and/or non profit
- Experience (lived, volunteer or professional) with youth protection systems, Batshaw or DPG
Please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter as one complete PDF document titled “firstname.lastname” to email@example.com with “Attn: Counsellor Hiring Committee” in the subject line. Applications can also be submitted by fax to (514) 481-2336 or in person at 3465 ave Benny. No incomplete or late applications will be accepted. Applications are due by April 25, 2020 at 5:00pm. All candidates will be sent a confirmation that their application was received, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted further.