|Job Title||Financial Coordinator|
|Type of Position||Permanent Full Time|
|Benefits||3 weeks vacation in first year, 4 in subsequent years|
Head & Hands envisions a society where all youth are participants and are inspired by the endless possibilities available to them. Our mission is to work with youth to promote their physical and mental well being. Our approach is preventative, non-judgmental, and holistic with a fundamental commitment to providing an environment that welcomes youth without discrimination. We facilitate social change and the empowerment of youth based on their current needs within our community and society at large.
About the Financial Coordinator Position
The Financial Coordinator works in collaboration with with Executive Director, Treasurer of the Board of Directors and the Fundraising Team to ensure the sound financial position of Head & Hands. They are responsible for operational side of finances, support with budgeting, and some human resources tasks. This position is a member of the collective decision-making body at Head & Hands.
- Ensure that SAGE reflects all of our current operations (ensuring that all debits and credits are managed for specific programs according to account codes)
- Preparing quarterly reports to the Board and meeting Board Treasurer regularly
- Oversee accounts payable, payroll (twice a month), accounts receivable and deposits
- Ensure that payroll remittances to government are reported and paid (deductions at source/employer expenses)
- Execute withdraws from monthly donors (credit card and direct debit)
- Monthly reconciliation and revenue-expenses reports
- Prepare and print tax receipts for charitable donations
- Work with the Auditor to prepare Financial Statements and prepare documents for annual audit
- Ensure that operational systems are effective and efficient (i.e. explore Sage Drive to modernize work)
- Assist in budgeting and financial management
- Serve as controller for program expenditures
- Manage program petty cash and/or reimbursements to staff
- Prepare & file charitable tax returns
- Compile and submit GST/QST reimbursement requests (every 6 months)
- Prepare & issue T4, Relevé 1 and other year-end payroll forms
- Manage Head & Hands’ private health insurance plan
- Prepare Records of Employment as needed
- Prepare timesheets for new staff
- Participate in staff meetings and team retreats
- Supervise 0-2 permanent staff members as needed
- Attend and support Head & Hands events
- Contribute to policy work and take part in internal committees
- Provide front desk replacement (2 to 3 hours per month) and contribute to building coverage, including one evening shift per week
- Assist in the maintenance of Head & Hands (i.e. Spring Cleaning, recycling)
- Represent Head & Hands as needed
Head & Hands primarily uses remote desktop access for this position. However, the position will require some in-person: the candidate must be able and willing to work from the office. This position will have in person training, and would ideally work at least 1 day in office per week. This is largely to handle mailed in bills and other paper-tasks. We understand that in-person work can be uncomfortable and/or may limit some people’s access to this job, therefore we are willing to create alternative systems (ex. working in office weekends/evening when no one else is in, setting up a digital workflow) to accommodate our candidate.
Full PPE and training are provided by Head & Hands. If concerned please contact 514-481-0277 or include questions in your application.
Requirements & Assets
- Bilingual French & English
- Post-secondary education and/or experience in at least one of the following areas: accounting, bookkeeping, financial coordination/management, human resources, and other related skills
- Experience in, or willingness to learn about, non-profit financial management
- Excellent time management skills, personal organization, and attention to detail
- Experience with accounting software (SAGE50 an asset)
- Ability to work autonomously
- Experience working in a collaborative team setting
- Computer knowledge (Excel, Word, Google Apps)
- Experience in grant & funding management
- Experience working in a collective structure
- Experience in peer supervision
- Experience in training of interns and volunteers
- Experience working in a community organization and/or non profit
Please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and including “Attn: Financial Coordinatorr” in the subject line. Applications can also be submitted by fax at 514-481-2336, or in person at 3465 Benny ave. Guidelines for preparing your CV and cover letter are available on our website, no incomplete applications will be accepted.
As an organization that works to facilitate social change and the empowerment of diverse communities of youth, Head & Hands recognizes that experiencing marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives.
We recognize that these skills are often undervalued and unacknowledged in professional settings, despite being highly transferable to the work we do. If you have questions about representing non-traditional skills and experience within your application, please get in touch for support in framing what you have to offer in a way that’s identifiable within the Qualifications and Assets described above.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, two-spirited and queer people, trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in your cover letter. We are committed to a creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Applications are due at 10:00 am on October 20th. All candidates will be sent a confirmation that their application was received, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted further. We are aiming to hold virtual interviews during the week of October 26th, with an ideal start date of November 8th or before.