|Job Title||Physician or Nurse Practitioner for Youth Clinic|
|Type of Position||Volunteer|
|Salary||RAMQ/out-of-province/private insurance when possible|
|Commitment||2 evening clinics/month – 4 hrs each
1 team meeting every 6 months (1-2 hrs)
Our mission is to work with youth to promote their physical and mental well being. Our approach is preventative, non-judgmental, and holistic with a fundamental commitment to providing an environment that welcomes youth without discrimination. We facilitate social change and the empowerment of youth based on their current needs within our community and society at large.
About Head & Hands and the Youth Clinic
Since 1970, Head & Hands has been helping youth harness their potential to create healthy, vibrant, and caring communities. We envision a society in which all young people are full participants, inspired by the endless possibilities available to them.
The Head & Hands Youth Clinic works with youth aged 12-25 years old. The clinic provides access to free, non-judgemental, harm reductive, trauma-informed, and holistic healthcare for youth, with a focus on sexual health empowerment including access to contraception, STI testing, and hormone therapy. Currently, we provide a drop-in clinic twice a week, a Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) program, and occasionally rapid HIV testing clinic and mobile clinics. We offer health counseling, information, referral, and sustained medical care whenever possible. We are a 2SLGBTQ+ and migrant-friendly clinic.
About the Physician/Nurse Practitioner position
We are currently recruiting three (3) physicians or nurse practitioners for our youth clinic. The physician/nurse practitioner will work closely with the Health Services Coordinator during our drop-in clinics and HRT program. The role of the physician/nurse practitioner is to provide high quality, non-judgemental, holistic and harm reductive care to the youth (12-25 years of age) population that accesses the clinic. Each physician/nurse practitioner selected will be trained in the particularities of our clinic and how we aim to provide care.
This position is generally a volunteer position as we are a non-profit and we are one of the few clinics in the city that does not discriminate based on access to health insurance. Some of our clients do not have access to coverage. We are looking for physicians and/or nurse practitioners who can volunteer (or charge RAMQ/out-of-province/private insurance when possible) for 2 evenings per month (6-9:30 pm). Each clinic sees a maximum of 10 clients per evening, as we aim to provide holistic care rather than quantity.
The clinic team is composed of a health services coordinator, a medical assistant, a nurse, and a lab technician. All medical files are electronic (EMR). Clinic fees can be waived if needed.
Requirements & Assets
- Doctor of Medicine degree with a permit to practice in Quebec or Nurse Practitioner.
- Bilingual French & English.
- A commitment to harm reduction, anti-oppression, holistic care, and Head & Hands values.
- Understanding of informed consent.
- Experience working with at least one of the following populations AND respect/understanding of: youth, migrants, 2SLGBTQ+ youth, sex workers, street-involved youth, marginalized youth, people who use drugs, BIPOC youth, aneurotypical clients, and/or people struggling with mental health.
- Knowledgeable in sexual health, STI and safer sex practices, pregnancy and abortion, contraception, and IUD insertions and the particularities of applying this knowledge to youth.
- Must be willing to volunteer some of the time, as a portion of our clients do not have healthcare.
- Available for at least 2 evening clinics/month.
- Active listening skills.
- Experience working in a collaborative team setting.
- Experience in working with youth.
- Experience in working in the non-profit sector and/or in a community organization.
- Knowledge of Hormone Replacement Therapy & Prep protocols or willing to learn and apply them.
- Knowledge or experience with drug use, sexual assault, addictions, and/or mental health.
- Connections to or background with NDG and is communities
- Special knowledge of and/or experience with the following areas: sexual assault, trans health, sex work, health advocacy, drug-use, mental health, hormones, and reproductive justice.
- Experience in training of medical students and/or residents.
- Spanish conversational.
Please apply by submitting your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and including “Attn: Clinic recruitment committee” in the subject line. Applications can also be submitted by fax at 514-481-2336, or in person at 3465 Benny ave. Guidelines for preparing your CV and cover letter are available on our website, no incomplete applications will be accepted.
As an organization that works to facilitate social change and the empowerment of diverse communities of youth, Head & Hands recognizes that experiencing marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives.
We recognize that these skills are often undervalued and unacknowledged in professional settings, despite being highly transferable to the work we do. If you have questions about representing non-traditional skills and experience within your application, please get in touch for support in framing what you have to offer in a way that’s identifiable within the Requirements and Assets described above.
People of colour, people with disabilities, women, two-spirited and queer people, trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in your cover letter. We are committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Applications are taken on a rolling basis. Potential candidates will be contacted once their application is received.